Approx. 7-8 servings
- 3 sachets Nature's Path spiced apple oats, processed to a fine powder in a food processor, coffee grinder or other machine
- 40g gram (chickpea) flour
- 80g plain gluten-free flour (or half tapioca flour and half potato flour, whichever you have) plus extra for rolling
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tbsp ground flax (linseeds) seeds (again, grind whole ones in a coffee or spice grinder) mixed with 3tbsp water
- 40g dairy-free margarine
- 60g solid Stork (the one in a block, not the one in a tub)
- For the filling:
- 80g blueberries (can be frozen)
- Sugar or sweetener of choice to taste and for sprinkling.
- 7-8 tsp Nature's Path granola (if dairy-free, choose the pumpkin variety – orange bag)
- Dairy-free milk for brushing
Using a food processor:
- Grind the oats in the processor for approx. 2 minutes until flour-like, then add the other dry ingredients and process until mixed.
- Combine the ground flax seeds with the water in a small bowl and leave to stand.
- Add the fats to the dry mixture and process again until the mixture starts to clump together.
- Give the flax 'egg' mixture a stir, then add it to the mixture and blend until a dough forms.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl and place on a clean, floured surface.
- Knead the mixture until it forms a smooth dough, adding a little extra flour if required. If it seems rather sticky place in the fridge for approx. 30 minutes while you get on with making the filling.
- To make the filling, place the fruit into a small saucepan and cook over a low heat for approx. 20 minutes, or until the time when you can squash the berries easily (you may need a splash of extra water if it is rather dry) Then remove from the heat and sweeten to taste.
- Take your pastry and roll it on a floured surface until approx. 2mm thick. Be sure to keep turning the dough as you roll so that it doesn't stick to the surface!
- Cut your pastry into squares measuring 7cm x 7cm. By re-rolling you should get between 14 and 16 squares...make sure it is an even number!
- Transfer half the squares to the middle of a baking tray and add 1 teaspoon of granola topped with 1tsp fruit, leaving 1cm clear around the edges. Repeat until all the squares on the baking tray have a filling.
- Brush the edges with water or dairy-free milk then place a square of pastry over the top and seal the edges by pressing together with a fork (this is why you will want the squares in the middle of the baking tray so that you can get the fork around to make the seals). Repeat until all the bakes are done.
- Brush them with dairy-free milk and sprinkle with sugar, if you like, before baking in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees, 170 degree fan oven, gas mark 5 for approx. 20 minutes or until golden.
If you do not have a food processor, then make the pastry as follows:
- Place the ground oats into a bowl along with all the other dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Add the fats and rub into the flour until you have a 'breadcrumb' like texture.
- Add the flax 'egg' and bring the mixture together into a dough, then follow the instructions from step 5 above.