Created by Vicki Montague - The Free From Fairy
A healthy, vegetarian alternative to a burger that is free from gluten, egg and soya
- 60g Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise
- 60g Nature's Path Original Hot and Steamy Oats (2 sachets)
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 115g whole mixed nuts
- 115g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1tsp mixed herbs, either dried or fresh
- 2 'flax eggs' – mix two tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water and leave to soak for 10 minutes
- Dash of Tabasco or other chilli sauce
- Black pepper
- 1-2tbsp vegetable oil of choice
- Place the mixed nuts in a clean frying pan over a medium heat and toast lightly for approx. 5 minutes until starting to brown.
- Put the Mesa Sunrise into a food processor along with the toasted nuts and whizz until very finely chopped.
- Meanwhile add a splash of oil and water into a saucepan and add the chopped onion and mushrooms. Sweat over a low heat with the lid on for approx. 15 minutes stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed to prevent anything browning.
- Add the garlic and herbs and stir continually until all the liquid has evaporated.
- To a large bowl add the whizzed cereal and nuts, the cooked vegetables, grated cheese, oats, eggs, Tabasco and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 4 (or more if you want smaller burgers) and roll into balls. Lightly flatten into a burger shape and place along with a little oil, into a frying pan.
- Cook the burgers over a low heat for approx. 5 - 10 minutes on each side until golden.