Recipe by Kate
"These individual galettes are my favourite free-from dessert! They're really quick to make but look so fancy and taste delicious! They also make a great year-round dish as you can use pretty much any soft seasonal fruit and add a dash of cinnamon in the wintery months."
For the dough:
- 1 cup (2 sachets) Nature's Path Original Hot & Steamy Porridge Oats
- 1 cup Almond Flour (ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey if preferred for non-vegans)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- PInch of sea salt
- Tsp water (or egg glaze if diet allows)
For the filling:
- 3 cups mixed seasonal soft fruit (eg. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, nectarines etc)
- 1/2 cup (1 sachet) Nature's Path Maple Hot & Steamy Porridge Oats for filling and decoration.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey if preferred for non-vegans)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°
- Place oats in your food processor and pulse a couple of times to break up the oats then blitz for approx. 1 minute until you have a fine consistency flour.
- Add almond flour and salt to oat flour and pulse until combined.
- Put your flour mix into a large bowl and mix in coconut oil, maple syrup (you can use honey if you don't follow a vegan diet) and lemon zest until thoroughly combined and you have a dough consistency.
- Separate the dough into 4 separate pieces.
- Wrap each piece in cling film and refrigerate for 30mins to an hour (this will make the dough easier to manipulate)
- In a clean bowl combine your fruit, lemon juice, vanilla essence and maple syrup (again, use honey if preferred). You can add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon if you wish for an extra warming dessert in chillier weather!
- Remove dough from fridge. On a piece of parchment paper, roll one of your dough pieces into a circle about 1/4inch thick (you can be as neat or as rough as you prefer here, it IS a rustic looking dish after all!)
- Sprinkle some whole oats in the centre of the dough, (you can use original oats again or the maple flavour works really well) leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around the edge. This will help soak up any excess juice from the fruit and also gives a lovely, gooey crumble texture.
- Arrange your fruit on top of the oats, again leaving a border of dough around the edge. Sprinkle with a little rosemary.
- Fold the dough from the edge up over the outside of your fruit, there should be a circle of fruit visible in the centre.
- Brush the dough with a small amount of water (or egg wash if your diet allows) and sprinkle a few whole oats onto the dough for decoration and extra texture.
- Repeat for the other dough pieces so you have four mini galettes.
- Tranfer the galettes, still on their parchment paper, to a baking tray and bake for 25mins until golden.
- Serve alone or with a scoop of your favourite Free-From ice cream!